Tuesday, December 14, 2010

"Christmas Past, meet Christmas Present. I don't believe you two have met."

Call me crazy (and many do) but I think there are so few times but Christmas that we can go all-out on anything and everything without being looked at as though we are going to be letting out an OINK at any given minute, or appear to be decorating our homes in anticipation of having Elton John as a house guest in the coming days..... so why the hell aren't we?! This is our one freebie per year to let the crazy in us all (albeit, some have more crazy than others) shine! Embrace it why don't you :)
My family has become notorious in the last several years for doing "finger foods" at our great big Christmas get-together. I hate this.
What are we as a family coming to? We no longer get together at Thanksgiving every year, and now this is the tradition we are choosing to carry out?? Christmas is the one time when we can go nuts with decorations, food, presents....everything! So why are we copping out? Now, I do understand that not everyone has the luxury to spend their days in the kitchen trying out new recipes or digging through the oldies-but-goodies, but for Christ's sake (pun intended), IT'S CHRISTMAS!!!!!
Perhaps it's the kid in me, but this is something really important to me. While you may say to me, "CJ, why don't you just cook your own holiday feast at home?" And I say to you, "because that's lame." (And I already do that at Thanksgiving anyway....we're talking the whole nine yards for what usually ends up being for maybe 3 or 4 of us.) It is such a rare occasion that, as our families continue to grow, we all make the concerted effort to be in the same place at the same time. To me, this time of year is about enjoying yourself with great company AND all the great food they can contribute. I'm not even suggesting that one person throw this whole shin-dig together single-handedly. As that fat comedian whose name escapes me would say, Nay Nay!....In fact, quite the opposite. So many new recipes have been introduced to me and mine through the additions to the family and any friends that stop by with their own creations. I love to taste and learn what other families have passed down from one generation to the next.
I do not enjoy a plate full of pinwheels, pickles & olives, rolled up lunch meats, cheese-covered-this or bacon-wrapped-that. Nor do I like feeling that I might as well be standing in the deli section of HEB with a glass of wine in my hand munching from the sample trays as this kind of dining generally evokes. I'm just waiting to hear "clean up on aisle 6" the next time someone spills their chips and queso. I have a hunch that several of my cousins (and a sibling or two) would concur with this line of thought. The problem is...no one asked us. How does this happen? How do our votes not count?? Even Florida got a re-count when they felt their voices had gone unheard!
Granted, it isn't my house that gets invaded each holiday season...but that's not because I wouldn't offer it up. Even if I said "hey, let's take this party to SA next year," it probably wouldn't happen. The festivities always take place in the booming town of Centerville, TX, where the population count and area code are currently one in the same. We have had such arrangements since long before I came into the world kicking and screaming, whining and complaining. The fact of the matter is logistics rule when it comes to these kinds of things and most of the fam lives in that neck of the woods. It's easier to load up the dozen or so of us from the SA/Austin vicinity than have the 30-40 something living in and around Cville head south for the winter. Please don't mistake me. I LOVE that little town. In fact, Jason and I would love to raise our family there, but that move won't be happening any time soon and I miss my Christmas now.
There aren't many things I'm old-fashioned or traditionalistic about, but you don't mess with Christmas, Missy! You can't bring us all up with big family meals as kids, then yank that out from underneath us when we are all finally old enough to reminisce over holidays past.
So until J and I can build a big house to cater to all the friends and family that flock to this little part of east TX (which will hopefully happen before any children we may have in the future would start kindergarten), I say to you:
LEAVE MY CHRISTMAS ALONE! WHAT DID IT EVER DO TO YOU?!

13 comments:

  1. please dont let cody see this!!! he is NOT happy about the whole deal either! we are working on a house so WE can have it there:) see you saturday! ps-atleast we have a good chinese christmas:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you know the last time we all got together, Mandy, Cody and I got fired up about this bc it's a bunch of crap. i don't know if mom was just trying to keep me from getting pissed off about it again, but she told me that we were doing a traditional xmas this year up there and when I heard the story had changed....well....you see what happened. Jason says all of us that feel this way should just get together and bring "real" dishes in spite of them saying "finger foods only". I said, "yeah, like form a coup!" He said "...ummm, well, not quite but something like that." (i think he has no idea what he's gotten himself into with me even still! LOL) It really just fuels my fire to get a great big house built up there. We've had to push back the land buying though since J is self employed and it makes it VERY hard to get things like that financed for at least the first year. Bummer, huh? We already have a house plan we like though :) It's mostly right anyway...there are only a couple of things we'd like to change about it. This is huge bc it took us more than 2 years to find the one we're in now and it's by no means perfect! i guess i'm just picky. hehe.
    i can't wait to see yall!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldnt agree more,CJ. I got the same story "oh since were not having Thanksgiving were doing a BIG Christmas this year with all the good food...not finger foods." Well when I found out that they had slipped one under the radar on me I pretty much lost all self control...and I let my opinion be heard. I suggested since were having finger foods lets just all exchange pats on the back instead of gifts...pretty much the same thing. Hopefully before we rip off too many more Christmas dinners we will have our house built, and this "Bah Humbug" style Christmas will be no more. WE WILL NOT GET FINGERED OUT OF CHRISTMAS EVER AGAIN!

    PS the fat comedian's name is John Pinette, and he is a funny mo fo. frre wriwi(free willie said in a chinese accent)...lmao! Heard that one? Be careful driving up, see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg-my husband is HILARIOUS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, he is. And he's also right ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cody, you are are too funny! I love the "We will not be fingered out of Christmas ever again!" I say whoever is cooking can bring whatever they like, so if you want non-finger food, bring it on! At least we're doing the full meal deal at mom's CJ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. CJ, This is Aunt Carol. I heard about this blog from another family member. My feelings are hurt. What is the big deal about what we eat? Is it really about the food? What about the fellowship and being together? I'm not complaining about having it at my house. I supplied the ham, the fruit tray and dip, cream cheese peppers, three different kinds of cookies and candy, tea, and all the paper goods. I took off 3 days from work just to do this and I haven't recovered yet. But, ya know what... I had a great time and I love my family more than anything in the world! I think it is a cryin shame that you kids have nothing better to gripe about, "spioled rotten". I'm glad that ya'll are all building HUGE homes, and Rhonda is right... if you want non finger foods, BRING IT ON! PS, CJ can bring the turkey and dressing, for oh... about 50 people! Love ya, Aunt Carol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aunt Carol,
    I'm sorry you have your feelings hurt, but not once did I point the finger at you (or anyone else for that matter.) If you are feeling guilty for any reason about how things were changed for the plans this Christmas, then I can't help that. It's not really about the food, per se, but more about honoring the traditions that were instilled in us and taught to us over all the years by you all. If it is so hard on you to have it at your house, then let's do it elsewhere. In fact, I would be happy to host the get together at my house next year. It's not about having a HUGE house either. Let's just plan on having dinner at my house I currently have on Saturday, 12/17/11. It's hard on us to make that trip up there too. We have to drive 8 hours in a span of 2 days. Then when we get there, we can only HOPE to have an actual bed to sleep in, but more times than not, it's a couch instead(and as you know, when you've had back surgery this can be quite painful and not so much fun to deal with). We've been doing this for every holiday since before I was born and not once have you all offered to spend it here.
    Every year on Thanksgiving I do cook enough of everything to feed an army, yet there are only 3 or 4 of us that are here to eat it all.
    I had a great time too. I love to see my family. I value family traditions and I just don't want us to lose that. We didn't get together for Thanksgiving, so I was told we would then have a "normal" Christmas dinner....then just a matter of days before I was to drive up there, I learn that things have changed. I was just wondering when this vote happened and why we weren't all given the opportunity to give our say too? The only way I found out was when I was asking what dish was still needed and what I should bring, and I was told "finger foods".
    It's not that I have nothing better to gripe about, but that this is something that means alot to me. Perhaps, it doesn't have the same meaning for you. And that's your prerogative.
    It's also mine.
    If we "kids" are so spoiled rotten....then I ask you: who is to blame?

    See you in San Antonio next year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I first saw this blog I told myself to stay out of it…however after reading this last entry I just couldn’t resist…

    First of all, we are fortunate enough to be able to get together several times a year and we always have a huge spread of food to eat…I don’t understand what there is to complain about. There are people who have NO family to spend their holidays with much less any food to eat…BUT yet we manage to still find something to bitch about. Who really cares what we eat????

    I also wanted to comment on the traditions you keep speaking of. For as long as I can remember we have always had the full meal at Thanksgiving and finger foods at Christmas and this year was no different. This year, at the request of our Guy Guy, we had Thanksgiving in Livingston. The only people that showed up from our family was Dickie & Paulette, Steven’s family, Mandy & Harley, my Mom & Dad and Wesley, Tanner and myself. AND WE HAD A GOOD TIME. I am sorry you missed our Thanksgiving this year.

    Probably what upset me the most was the comment about you having to sleep on the couch. So do you expect my Mom & Dad to give up their bed for you…or maybe Guy Guy and Pop? To think that you have the nerve to complain about the sleeping arrangements that your family is providing for you…Maybe Aunt Carol is right…SPOILED ROTTEN

    You have upset a lot of people with the comments you have made. I am assuming everything you have written was written out of anger because I know you were raised better. I think there are a lot of apologies to be made. I have said my peace…and now I am letting this go. I hope you do the same. We are all still family and we all should learn to love and respect each other!!!!


    Happy Holidays,

    Wesley & Morgan Roe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Morgan,
    It seems to me that you missed the point I was trying to make. I was speaking in generalities to start with, then it seems to have spun out of control.
    Regarding the sleeping arrangements, Aunt Carol was saying how having it at her house was really hard on her and I was simply making the point that it is hard on us too. I would NEVER expect anyone to give up their bed for me.
    Sometimes it would be nice to have a family get together here, too, and not just in Centerville.

    It was not feasible for me to spend Thanksgiving in Livingston due to the distance. I'm really glad you all had such a good time up there.

    To everyone else that reads this:
    I love my family. I love spending time with them. I've never said otherwise. I don't expect you all to agree with me and my opinions. And that's ok. I also don't think it's fair to call each other names. I've been very certain to be as careful as I could about what I've said and keep things as kosher as possible. It seems that somethings were blown out of proportion and some assumptions have been made that aren't quite true.
    Please accept my apologies if I've hurt you. It was never my intention.

    With love and sincerity,
    CJ

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cj, wonderfully written, as it has apparently become the same tradition with our family, and when I asked for something different (you know me...) I know have three siblings who have professed to never speak to me again, BEcause so many holiday traditions are tied into food and tradition ties to that, (My family is from Norway they do not have finger foods) we have lost so much, now with the lose of my mother , I have decided what is most important is to love from afar, those who disagree and stand for my beliefs, that is what we will do tonight, to honor my mother and her traditions, and to honor my family as we change and move on. I am proud of you for stating your beliefs, your wants and your traditions, if that makes your family uncomfortable, it would be only because they were already uneasy with what they are doing, and as soon as they move beyond that and realize you were really talking about family and tradition, and see the love and longing for a closer time together, well Maybe Carol Jo, they will see the true meaning of Christmas, I love you

    ReplyDelete
  12. "What's this? Nobodys leaving, nobodys walking out on our fun ole-fashioned family Christmas NO NO were all in this together! This is a full blown four alarm holliday emergancy here,and Were gonna press-on and were gonna have the hap! hap! happiest Christmas since Bing Crosby tapp danced with Danny Fu@*$%# Kaye!!!! And when Santa squeezes his white fat ass down our chimney tonight, he's gonna find the jolliest bunch of assholes this side of the nut house!" HA!
    -Chevy Chase

    MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very well said Cody...Wesley said that is f*****g awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete